The catechin compounds in tea are a kind of functional active components with rich content in tea, and the mass fraction in the new tea is 12% ~ 32%. Catechin has become one of the hot spots in the field of medicine and food research in recent years, because catechin has a wide range of health and pharmacological effects and strong antioxidant properties of food. Catechin and its oxidation products are three elements of carbon hydrogen oxygen, which are produced by the action of a series of enzymes and by the way of shikimic acid to form a benzene ring compound, and finally synthesized into catechin. Catechin has obvious phenolics and can precipitate heavy metals and proteins. Therefore, catechin is a phenolic substance. Phenolic substances are also known as tannins, they can precipitate proteins and have the properties of tanning raw leather in varying sizes. Compared with some typical vegetable tannins (gallnut tannin), catechin is weak in tannage.
The effect and function of catechin
1. First, scavenging free radicals: catechin is a natural oil antioxidant, and its antioxidant activity is even higher than vitamin E. It also removes the free radicals produced by the human body to protect the cell membrane.
2. catechin has the effect of delaying aging: because it has the function of scavenging free radicals, it can slow down aging.
3. catechins have the effect of preventing tooth decay: because tea contains fluorine, so can make teeth have a strong resistance to acid erosion. In addition, clinical trials have shown that catechin can significantly reduce plaque and slow down periodontal disease.
4. catechins have the effect of changing the distribution of intestinal microbes: catechin can inhibit the human pathogenic bacteria (such as botulinum), and do not harm the reproduction of beneficial bacteria (such as lactic acid bacteria), so it has the function of whole intestine.
5. catechins have antimicrobial effect: can inhibit the pathogens causing human skin diseases, and has a good effect on the treatment of eczema.
6. have deodorizing effect: catechins can remove the odor of methyl mercaptan, so it can remove the halitosis of smokers and reduce the odor of pigs, chickens and human excrement (because catechin can resist the stinky bacteria in the gut of the human body).
Other aspects of the effect and effect of catechin: some studies have shown that catechin also inhibits blood pressure (reducing diastolic pressure and systolic pressure) and blood sugar (inhibiting glycoprotease), lowering blood cholesterol and low density lipoprotein (LDL), and increasing the amount of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) (Japan used to make low cholesterol. " Chun Dan), radiation resistance, and ultraviolet (the United States has made UV - prevention cosmetics), antimutagenic (confirmed by microbes, but no reports of human trials) and other functions.